Within the first 90 days in Germany, non-EU citizens must in most cases apply for a residence permit in order to stay in Germany after the visa expires. Each residence permit is bound to a purpose of stay with respective conditions of issue. If you have any questions regarding your residence permit, please do not hesitate to contact us.


You need to apply for a residence permit at your local “Migration Office” (at Bremen_Service Universität or Bürgeramt/Abteilung Migration Bremerhaven) before the expiration date on your visa. You also need to apply for a residence permit if you are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of Korea or the USA, have entered the country without a visa and intend to stay in Germany for a longer period.
This needs to be done within three months of entering the country. We recommend you submit your application as soon as possible. This is especially important since the introduction of the new electronic residence permit on 01.10.2011. If you need assistance, please visit the Welcome Center.

    The application for your residence permit can be found here.

    -> Bremen_Service Universität
    -> Bremerhaven Bürgeramt/Abteilung Migration

      Applying for a residence permit

      In order to apply for a residence permit, you will have to register with the city first. Once you have done that, you can send the following documents to bsu@migrationsamt.bremen.de in order to apply for a residence permit.

      • The filled out application form
      • (copy of) your passport
      • Your ‘Meldebescheinigung’ (which is the document you received confirming your city registration) You can hand in the Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung and your rental contract instead, in case you don´t have the confirmation yet.
      • Proof of health insurance
      • Working contract, an official invitation from the University Bremen or another proof of funding

      If you apply for a residence permit for more than 6 months, you need to add a biometrical photo (jpg). In that case, you will also receive an invitation by the BSU for an appointment, where they will include the biometric data and you’ll have to pay the fees.

      If you apply for a residence permit for up to 6 month, you will not get an appointment. Instead, you will receive the residence permit and an invoice for the payment of the fees by post.